Executive Director Job Posting
The Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition seeks an Executive Director to direct its overall operations. The Executive Director reports to the Fischoff Board, working particularly with its President and the Executive Committee as well as with the Artistic Director. The Executive Director manages the small permanent staff and the many volunteers needed for the Competition itself. The Board seeks a leader with strategic vision and creativity, to build on its fame and success and expanding its activities. The Executive Director is ultimately responsible for all non-artistic aspects of the organization, including fundraising, strategic planning, fiscal operations, marketing/communications, the competition, educational outreach, and Board support.
Compensation will be competitive with similarly-sized arts organizations.
Founded in 1973 and based in South Bend, Indiana, the Fischoff Competition is the largest chamber music competition in the nation, and the country’s longest consecutively running competition. Each year, an average of 125 ensembles, representing more than 20 nationalities, enter the wind, string or junior divisions. Since its founding, more than 6,800 musicians have participated, many of whom have gone on to distinguished careers in music performance and education.
Equally committed to music education, the Fischoff uniquely partners with competition alumni to bring free, innovative music programs directly to children in their own schools and community centers. Known as the Fischoff Arts-in-Education Residency, these programs have served 68,000 community children since 1995 including many underserved and at-risk children and youth. For more information on the Fischoff, see www.fischoff.org.
South Bend is home to five major universities including the University of Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s College and Indiana University South Bend. South Bend is the cultural hub and economic center of this multi-county, bi-state region, providing an affordable and family-friendly community with comfortable, convenient living and easy access to regional opportunities. In less than an hour’s drive you can find yourself at a beach along the sand dunes of Lake Michigan. In less than two hours you can be in the center of Chicago. From tranquil country vistas to the excitement of vibrant and revitalized downtowns, South Bend is a great place to live. For more information see https://www.sbrchamber.com/live/community-overview/.
KEY QUALITIES FOR FISCHOFF EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
- - Minimum of a bachelor’s degree, with a Master’s degree preferred
- - 5 years of arts administration experience, primarily in the field of music, with a track-record of success
- - Engaging personality with ability to articulate the Fischoff mission with passion and clarity
- - Strong financial management and fundraising skills as demonstrated by a track record of success with other organizations
- - Vision for the future of classical music
- - Knowledge of the classical music (especially chamber music) world including personal connections at institutions worldwide
- - Commitment to education and mentoring, both of the ensembles in the competition and in the outreach programs
- - Talent in logistics and planning
- - Demonstrated ability to lead and collaborate with staff
- - A collaborator and negotiator
- - Demonstrated ability to leverage the resources of a not-for-profit board of directors and build their sustaining commitment to the organization
- - Success in recruiting and retaining highly competent volunteers
- - Proven creativity in programming and marketing, e.g., educational, outreach, multi-media, etc.
- - Contemporary information technology skills including ability to effectively use social media
Please send resume with cover letters stating your interest to Peter Holland, President of the Fischoff National Chamber Music Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation of identity, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status.